HeaterMeter wifi issues

Paul Belton

I have it all working except the wifi. It will connect to my wireless router, get an address but the address cannot be pinged by any devices on the network or the router. I have a Netgear ndr3400v3 and a Linksys wrt1900ac. The hm does the same thing on both routers. Linksys support had no solution after 2 hours. I have 11 other devices on my home network and they all work properly. The hm works perfectly if I use the LAN port. Hopefully someone has had this issue and can help me. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

First, welcome to the site. You will definitely enjoy the benefits of the HM.
Have you gone through the steps for wifi in the wiki?
This is the link
WiFi Wiki

I went thru the wifi setup steps more times than I can remember but I have not reloaded the sd card from scratch. I am thinking this might be best at this point. I read a post here that sounds similar to my issue and both issues were resolved by a new sd card. Thanks!

What rPi version do you have.
I had a WiFi issue on my last build and I had to re-image the SD card with the norestore option. I am looking for the wiki page for that now. I know how to do it but seeing it on paper should help you.

To do a SD card re-image go to this link "this link" and see the section that say's "How do I prevent config restoration?" That worked to get my wifi up.

Router Name OpenWrt
Router Model BCM2708
Firmware Version OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09 / LuCI 0.11.1 Release (0.11.1)
Kernel Version 3.3.8

are you referring to this? if so it did not work. the norestore is there but it does not go back to any defaults....
If you open up the HM and you will see the Rpi B and the SD card, remove the sd card and if you have a sd card reader for your computer go ahead and navigate to the sd card and open it up and there should be a small file called

cmdline.txt

open that file in notepad

Look for
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait

Then at the end of the line put in norestore

it should look like this

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait norestore

After you save the text file and you reinstall the sd card back into the PI and inside the case. Plug in the Heatermeter. wait until you see the IP on the screen "192.168.201.1" That's the default IP address for the Heatermeter.

Next I prefer a phone but a laptop works too and turn on your WIFI and you should see the Heatermeter listed.

Connect to it and type "192.168.201.1" into your brower

Navigate to the Network page and to the Wifi page and Scan for routers

If the Heatermeter finds the router you want to connect(make sure you also add any passwords needed" click on it and then save and apply. At the top of the page you will probably see unsaved changes and you want to click on those and on that page click the Save and apply

Restart the HM and should connect to your router and the router will assign you a IP address that will be the address you will need to put in your browser on a computer that is connected to the same router as the Heatermeter.

It may take a few seconds of so but the graph for the Heatermeter should be loaded in the browser.

His Pi version is a B. with an edimax wifi adapter and Sandisk 4gig card. Its the same I use on all the Heatermeters I use and make. I agree with Paul, its probably best to redo the SD card to get it back to stock. I have been communicating with Paul via email and this issue has me stumped, also. He was able to get it working on his work network, but not at home.

Unfortunately, If that does not do it I don't know what will. That is what worked for me. Maybe Brian or Ralph will come up with something.
Bob

Edit: I am assuming that this is a HM v4.2.4? If that is the case, both of the builds I did in the last month are identical. rPi Vb and the Edimax wifi adapter.

Last edited:
that fixed it! it is all working even the wifi. just wish i would have done that last night. i really appreciate you guys helping me out before i lost my mind. i must have done something wrong in the very beginning. i always assume that i can just look at these things and fix them with no instructions. it has been a long time since i broke something this bad. so glad the fix was so easy.

John...you are a very patient person. i must have sounded so frustrated in my emails. now i need to test it out on the pit.

The networking is the part I worry about the most when I send a unit to someone, as it is something im not great in either.

Im glad its working, I will be waiting for your review

And welcome to the world of the Heatermeter

The networking is the part I worry about the most when I send a unit to someone, as it is something im not great in either.
I agree. It is way too easy to get the networking wedged to the point that at least one of the adapters isn't working. That's why I have been working on this

And there will be a button to switch between them.

Back