A few mods to the 22.5 WSM

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Found a nice 22.5" WSM on Craigs List last week...
I wanted to add a few things to it...here's where I'm at:
Started with Glenn W's version of the 3-in-1 Charcoal Grate Modification without welding.
DSCN3749.JPG
DSCN3751.JPG

Added wheels
DSCN3755.JPG
DSCN3756.JPG

DSCN3754.JPG

After I was done with the wheels, I noticed the center section was out of round... I gently tried to "reshape" it and this is the best I came up with...
DSCN3752.JPG

you can slip an American 10¢ coin in this slot. It's no big deal, I'm not gonna sweat it. The rest of it is darn tight.
DSCN3753.JPG

I bought the CajunBandit Stainless Steel excess door (the original aluminum door was pretty much beat to heck)
DSCN3805.JPG

Also added Russ Turner's Lid Hanger & Retaining Ring design.
DSCN3808.JPG

DSCN3806.JPG

DSCN3807.JPG

I'll be adding side handles to the mid-section and some sort of handles to the lower cooking grate.
All these mods I did to my 18.5"WSM with the exception of Russ's lid hanger. I will now do that to the smaller cooker.
I wonder if a larger than 55 gallon plastic bag is available... the 55 gal bag is a bit too tight.
DSCN3757.JPG

Then, of course, with side handles on this large WSM, the original cover will not fit, will hafta order from Weber the 26" kettle cover.
I'll post here photos of the side handles later.
Thanks for swingin' by
wsmsmile8gm.gif

No prob Jim. Not sure what store you have out there but my father-in-law had 60 gallon bags. I'll check to see if he has any left so you don't need to buy a box.

'sok Chuck, Thanks, I can get a larger bag from work.
John, the wheels were bought at Menards, a local home improvement chain.
You can find them at Home Depot or Lowe's or your local Ace.

Nice work Jim, you are gonna love the room! I highly reccomend the middle grate mod for doing more than 3 racks o ribs!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Meredith:
Hey Jim, did you fabricate the metal for your handles or were you able to buy them somewhere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bill, those are metal handles from a Weber fireplace. I sand blasted the rust off, primed and painted black.

Back