How long to leave dry rub on pork butt?

John Bailey

In the past, I have put a dry rub on three days prior to the cook. How long is too long, where the rub could have an adverse effect on the meat? I supposed the ingredianets of the dry rub could have an impact on that, but generally, what is hte opinion. Apllying dry rub Tuesday for a Friday cook too long?

John if the rub includes salt I wouldn't leave it on long than a day just because I'd fear the salt drawing out to much moisture and then making the meat to dry.

No salt. I've noticed a slight difference by applying the rub a few days ahead, wrapping in plastic wrap and letting it sit the the fridge. I know with such a big piece of meat there is only so much penetration, but can and extra day or two of sitting with the rub had any negative effects?

I usually put rub on while the chimney is lighting off. I made a rookie mistake (back when I was a rookie) where I put a rub with salt on some CSRs overnight and ended up with ham. I'm not sure that rub would get much penetration into a butt even if was on for a week, and you might actually lose some bark if it's on too long. You might try mixing your rub with apple juice or something and injecting it.

I'm with you man. I did two butts this past weekend, slathered with mustard and then the armadillo rub while the smoker was heating up. This was the single best thing I've ever cooked. And it really didn't need to sit overnight or anything fancy. At the end of the day, it seems like the meat and the fire do all the magic on their own.

Back