Dies when 4th burner is lit

A. Vale

TVWBB Fan
I did a search but couldn't find anything that exactly fits my issue. To start this is a BBQ Galore Turbo STS that a friend gave to me. It is approximately 3 years old and he had BBQ Galore rebuild it last year so the burners and ceramic rocks look brand new. The issue is that it works well with up to 3 burners lit but lighting the 4th causes it to act as if someone turned off the propane. It doesn't matter which burner I light last, it behaves the same. I lit the three burners and set them to low. If I do this I can light the 4th and I can get it to all go out if I turn up the gas on the burners. I'm thinking it has to be the regulator as all the burners are clean and the behavior isn't tied to a certain burner. When I called BBQ Galore to price a new regulator I described the behavior and he said when a regulator goes you get very little flame all the time. He also suggested a service call. What do you guys think it could be? Should I replace the regulator as a next step? It has a Chen Fong model 7068 regulator. Are all regulators the same? Thanks in advance and sorry the grill isn't a Weber, my other grill is
icon_wink.gif

Hopefully this will help someone else. I replaced the regulator and all is well. A $17 regulator from Home Depot and I now have a fully functional stainless gas grill!

i had no answer for that. thanks for the heads up ! i would also have made sure the safety valve was not going on or broken in the tank.

My guess would be the regulator, or the safety valve in the tank.

It sounds like the regulator can deliver proper pressure to (3) burners, but when you add the fourth, it is unable to deliver the flow.

I'm no regulator expert, but I suspect that regulators would be sized for two key specifications: Pressure and Flow

If you have a local dealer that sells propane, see if you can ask someone there for technical support about a regulator. They may even be able to test it for you if you bring it in.

If you find someone who can test the stuff for you, I would also see if they can check your propane tank. It may be that the safety valve "thinks" there's a leak when you turn-on the fourth burner. (They are designed to "clamp-down" when large jumps in flow occur.)

The $17 regulator fixed the problem. Unfortunately around here the only propane dealers are the ones with the tank exchange programs. Thanks for the suggestions!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Unfortunately around here the only propane dealers are the ones with the tank exchange programs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's cheaper to have your tanks refilled.
If you can get to San Jose there are a couple of Propane dealers there. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&s...&fp=eed3e924b34ba39f
Of the three, U-Haul will be the most expensive.
Good luck,

I can't believe you don't have a place to refill propane - U-Haul, welder's supply store, RV park.

We don't have much of anything here in Las Cruces, but I can't swing a dead cat without hitting some place that can refill propane. (Of course, I've also had a theory that the more rural the area, the more readily propane is available).

RE: Finding a dealer to re-fill Propane

I would also check with almost anyone local, who has a fork-lift that burns Propane. They'll usually know where to go locally.

Back